blog > category > ideas & inspiration
April 23, 2012
Morning guys, how was your weekend? We spend most of ours decoratating the little cabin where we will be holding our furniture painting workshops. It is not ready to share pictures just yet, but it is looking rather lovely. I decided to go for that chaffinch wallpaper from Anthropologie on one wall, and opted to paint another in a beautiful dark inky blue called Antwerp from Dulux, with the two remaining walls in milk white.
My mum, lover of all things neutral, thought I was mad going for a dark colour in a small space, but I knew we needed to create atmosphere and a moody wall was just the way to do it. She eventually admitted that it totally works! Below is the little inspiration board I had in mind while choosing the colour - I love how it creates a dramatic backdrop and everything just pops against dark colours like navy, charcoal and black. I promise to share more pics very soon. Until then, please sign up to find out more if you are interested in joining in the painting fun.
April 20, 2012
2. I’m completely blown away by this rustic tablescape from Itsahit.
3. I love the idea of strawberry dessert pizza, just beautiful! From theKitchn
6. Lara Stone is a stunner isn’t she? Just love her gap. Via Now Serving.
7. This gal's got great style. Love the star cut outs in her leather skirt. From Stockholm Streetstyle.
8. I really want these Marimekko towels from Heals, such great colour clash – but they’re only available in green at the moment!
Other posts you might like:
April 18, 2012
Rough Luxe is a hotel in central London, which is part of an international experience network of the same name. The Grade II listed home was transformed by internationally acclaimed designer Rabih Hage in 2008 and the owners describe it as “half rough, half luxury.”
“Our look is a mix of old and new, furniture and art; combining colours and beautiful fabrics with cheap materials and existing distressed original walls. Cheap materials are treated as precious items and preserved for their beauty and memory of the site.”
As the owners are opening up their home, guests are treated to a personal experience which helps to redefine the meaning of luxury. The philosophy of the Rough Luxe movement is to create a new way of looking at luxury "as a moment in time and not only part of an object of consumption.”
The Rough Luxe network includes hotels, bars, restaurants, shops and products that focus on the experience on appreciating the instrinsic value of objects, art, culture and people that exist in surroundings. An interesting concept, don’t you think? Find out more here.
Some images: Marcus Peel for Rough Luxe
April 10, 2012
It is not uncommon to see the same homes pop up again and again in interior magazines and blogs. It can get annoying but one such example that is definitely worthy of all the attention is the Denmark home of Tine Kjeldsen - the force behind the fabulous homeware brand, Tine K.
I love how Tine fuses French, Moroccan, Asian and Scandinavian influences to create a nest that is interesting and cosy, and not the slightest bit cluttered. Quite an achievement.
Source: Est Magazine
April 6, 2012
2. We’ve been working with Annie Sloan chalk paints this week as we develop our furniture painting classes. There’s some really beautiful colours – including the newest additions – French Linen, Original and Antionette.
3. I’ve been writing a feature about coffee culture in the UK and got some great tips from expert baristas. It seems that a grinder is definitely the way forward.
4. So grilled cheese is to Americans what cheese on toast is to us Brits – the ultimate comfort food. But I’m sure we’d see it on menus more in the UK if chefs served it like this recipe from Sprouted Kitchen – toast topped with sauteed chard and grugere cheese. Mmm.
5. Isn’t seared tuna just so chic and simple? Here’s how to do it right.
6. It’s simply not Easter without a bunny light. Bodie and Fou have this great one.
7. We are desperate to get a dog and convincing our landlord to let us have one is the plan for April! Image via Convoy.
8. I'm blown away by these screenprints on rusted metal. Some people are just so damn creative!
April 3, 2012
Coral is one of my favourite colours and paired with white it makes a stunning spring tablescape. I love the simplicity yet careful attention to detail used here, with the mis-match vintage china, old brass candlesticks and little sprigs in miniature glass bottles. Just lovely.
March 30, 2012
1. My ceramics obsession continues with these pretty salad plates. There's something quite 70s about them that I really like!
2. I’m useless at flower arranging and am considering taking a class or two to learn how to make beauties like this from Rebel Rebel.
3. Half-way cookies… no, I’ve not heard of them before either. Chewy cookie on the bottom, marshmallow-like meringue on top, and a rich layer of chocolate sandwiched in between – yes please! Via The Kitchn.
4. I used to be obsessed with flower fairies when I was little so was chuffed to see the whimsical prints are available to buy.
5. Ah, picnic weather! Hope the weather stays nice enough for one this week.The Glitter Guide.
6. I’m going to embrace Easter with these cute egg candles from Nordic House, just love 'em!
7. I need some summer T-Shirts and quite like this lovely one with beaded details from Wrap.
8. I grew up with a beautiful old cuckoo clock, this new one from UO isn't quite as lovely but still pretty cool.
March 26, 2012
I finally got around to sewing some herb seeds yesterday. We seem to spend a fortune on fresh herbs so despite not being very green fingered I decided to give growing our own a go. Seeds were on offer so I ended up with coriander, parsley, tarragon, thyme, oregano, sage, chives, basil, as well as some rocket and purple sprouting broccoli. They’re now sitting happily in seed trays on the window ledge and the next job is to make some labels. I've found some great ideas…
March 23, 2012
1. There's heaps of loveliness in the new collection from Rowen and Wren, I especially like these cute linen sacks for bread.
3. I’ve just made my favourite ginger cake for visiting friends this weekend. I’ve made it countless times, it's so simple, moist and delicious. Recipe from trusty Nigel Slater.
4. Hot pink and grey – one of my favourite colour combos. Found via here.
5. My friend and I spotted these super bargainous trousers in H&M at the weekend and both had to get a pair. So fun for spring with a breezy grey top. Everyone obviously thought the same as they've already sold out online!
6. I’m loving these resin trays from Door 77 – perfect alfresco drinks and snacks.
7. Some lovely ideas for the most simple yet chic cheese board from Sprouted Kitchen – a fabulous healthy wholefoods blog.
8. Firmly on my wish list are these French Sole python flats - the perfect shoe for spring.
March 22, 2012
Remember that dream rustic industrial kitchen I was talking about the other day? Well here it is. Open shelving + freestanding furniture + ceiling pan hanger + white tableware + chic coffee machine = perfection.
Source: Lyla and Blue
Other posts you might like: